The Disorderlies Painting Blog

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

1 hour challenge : hour 4.5 : Drunes

I finished up the leather butt flap the guy is wearing except for going back with a darker brown to help the stitching's stand out.

I started with a base of reaper Brown leather(1:2:1) (I think that is what is was called) and did the shadings by adding vallejo Flat earth at a 1 part flat earth and 2 part brown leather to start and slowly shaded it.

The highlights were done with a reaper Buckskin leather, which is a more yellowish leather and brought out a warmer highlight.

This leads into the discussion for this message.

When doing highlights do you mix warm highlights with netural or dark highlights?

For example. The drune warrior's chest is black highlighted up to a grey which is a cold or netural highlight to me. But his legs, I highlighted up to a warmer highlight with a brighter yellow leather.

Do you think it's best not to mix warm and cold highlights?

2 Comments:

  • I'm a firm believer in doing whatever looks good on the particular miniature. In general I don't see a problem mixing Warm and cold and neutral colors on a figure. But I would avoid mixing warm and Cold colors while highlighting a particular color on a miniatures.

    By Blogger Stahler77, at 8:47 AM, April 11, 2006  

  • I like to limit the highlights to one type (either cold or warm) for each area painted (as in, don't use both warm and cool highlights on the skin of the mini - unless, maybe, you are painting Mid-Nor Dwarves and need that chaotic look and feel).

    I don't think there are any problems with mixing the two types on different areas of the mini though.

    That being said, if you use all warm or all cool highlights on the mini (part of the limited palette theory), your mini will look much more cohesive in it's final viewing.

    By Blogger Aaron, at 11:11 AM, April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home