The Disorderlies Painting Blog

Friday, July 27, 2007

Glazed Donuts por Los Todos!

After enjoying a little, and I mean very little, time with the new Heavenly Sword Demo for my PS3 I laucnhed back into Vinter to salvage my work from the previous evening and start fresh. In the comments for the last entry Aaron and I discussed the more amusing parts of working with glazes on a miniature. I ended up going with a Warm medium brown glaze (Vallejo Model Color Flat Brown) and used that as a glaze for Vinter's face and neck. Went back and re-worked the highlights and I'm much happier with the final product.

For Vinter's Armor I decided to just re-base coat and start fresh. After doing so I worked up a really nice Dark Blue, which I was pretty happy with last night. I get the feeling I'll be looking that over again this weekend and end up working a glaze on his armor and then re-highlight to tone down some of the highlights.

I was torn on working the metal aspects of the figure (sword and armor trim). Privateer has an official no Non-Metallic Metal painting for studio work and I have such a love of the technique when executed well. I quickly decided the following

a) I have no chance to actually win the competition, so any prejudice against NMM doesn't matter

b) I have no chance (or desire for that matter) to get a studio painting job out of this, so showcasing my ability to paint by their standards doesn't matter

Plus this figure will be sitting in my display case from August 21st on. Screw those hippies I'm painting the way I LIKE IT!

Gen Con Painting Update
I'm expecting Vinter to be finished by the middle of the week And then I've got two weeks to work up a second submission, Just not quite sure what yet...

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home