The Disorderlies Painting Blog

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cyclops coloring

The color scheme I’m using for the Skorne is a quadrad color scheme. For those that paint a good amount, want to get a good cohesive miniatures painted up, and have a piss poor understanding of Color-theory I highly suggest a color wheel. Mine is damn good, on one side there is a wheel indicating what adding other colors to the designated color would result in. The other side shows the complimentary, split complimentary, tetrad, and quadrad color groupings as well as the tint, tone, and shade of those colors. This really helps in identifying new cohesive color schemes.

In general my Skorne coloring is as follows
Armor is in a deep Blue-Violet, with select deep Red-Violet plates and trim,
Cloth is being done in a very dirty, almost plague like, yellow green.
Metal trim is being done in Yellow Orange NMM.
Weapons and such will be done in a Steel NMM

This only leaves skin, the Warbeasts and skorne skin fall into these grouping as well. Titan/Cyclops Pale Bue-Violet, Basilisks will be done in a Yellow Orange (close to a Leopard Gecko) And Skorne falls in the VERY pale end of Yellow Orange.


So I sat down last night with the Cyclopsi. I intended to start with the skin and work out, as I usually do. However the Cyclops only skin showing is on the hands holding the sword. As the sword is separate to facilitate painting the body I moved onto the cloth. I carefully laid down the colors for the “shirt” and then following with the pants on both Cyclopsi. I decided just to get the base coats down and I would worry about coming back and highlighting later. The bulk of my “messy” painting happens with the base coat anyway. So next I laid down great swaths of the deep Blue-Violet I’m using for their armor. After the last brush stroke I realized my problem, after laying down the armor base coat I realized there was no where for one of my Quadrad colors to lay down. I laid down the plae blue-violet I intended for the Cyclops skin on the cloth. At the time I didn’t think this would be a problem. Until I realized I had no place to lay down the Yellow-Green colors.

Lesson for today: Don’t paint after drinking one cheap beer. Paint while drinking a bottle of wine? Sure! After/during a few cocktails? Sure! After a good 3-4 Beers? No problem. But one is just enough to distract me and lay down the wrong colors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home