The Disorderlies Painting Blog

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Painting Recipes -Tim

Aaron made an excellent point in response to one of Rob's Posts. Painting recipes can save a massive amount of time. In the past I have typically taken each model as individual and painted it up however I see fit. While this is excellent practice at learning new techniques and new paint mixtures to get a desired goal it is not efficient for mass painting.

Over time I have come up with a few recipes that I refer to on a regular basis and have imported a few from friends. So I suggest we each post out own favorite painting recipes so that we can pull off of each other, and broaden our color palate. Army specific colors should still be written down of course. But what is the base for doing certain colors?

I’ll start with the ones I have on my thumbdrive at work. I’ll update more tonight or tomorrow.

NMM Gold -1
A base of reaper walnut,
a wash of Golden Acrylic Raw Sienna
A glaze of reaper walnut again to get the shadows going once more...
Highlight with a mix of Raw Sienna / VGC Sunblast yellow 2:1
then VGC Sunblast yellow
then VGC Sublast yellow / white
then white


NMM IRON
Directly on the primer
A heavy wash of VMC Intermediate blue (repeat as necessary to get
depth)
A light wash of VMC Intermediate blue / VMC Black 1:1
A light wash of VMC Smoke or Smoke Ink (rather interchangable imho)

That gives you the base color. Then, begin to highlight with
Intermediate blue, followed by white.

GEMS
Paint the gem white,
then paint the dark area (into the light) a dark color that'll work with the basic gem color,
with the white reflection spot in the center....
then do a few glazes of the actual gem color over the entire
thing.

2 Comments:

  • How many layers are you using on average for your NMM?

    How thin are your paints?

    By Blogger Aaron, at 10:54 AM, April 05, 2006  

  • Layers: It really depends on the mini and if I'm doing it for Table top/RPG or Display
    Right now it's difficult for me to quantify the number of layers as I've gotten away from the NMM technique in the past few months. Metallics are easier to get them to look decent quicker. Off the top of my head I’d guess Table top would be at 6-8 on up. I’m also attempting some blending with it. 20% Future Floor wax will actually pull up some of the pigment on paint already on the mini. So I end up putting a little paint in a drop of Future floor wax and “blending” with it. Yeah I know it’s not real blending about the brushstrokes are similar.

    Paint thickness: Hard for me to describe, I know what it looks like, and I know how it reacts with newspaper, but hard to quantify. I would say about the consistency of skim milk

    By Blogger Stahler77, at 11:08 AM, April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home